Shenley Lane Community Association & Sports Centre
0121 475 3870

Shenley Lane Community Association (Registered Charity 518218) has the charitable objectives of improving the social welfare and living conditions of the most deprived and vulnerable members of our community. Over the last 75 years we have built up a strong community presence through our outreach work and providing local people with an accessible source of information, recreation and aspiration. In doing this our charity has developed a broad network of local organisations we often collude with: schools (Shenley Academy, Turves Green Boys), local politicians (Councillor Freeman and Rich Burden, MP), charities (Best Chances, The Edge Partnership of Schools) and businesses (Bridging to the Future, Community Central). This ensures that if we are unable to meet a community need ourselves we can put people in touch with those who can.

Shenley Lane has become a centre of recreational, economic and social interaction for our local community and enables us to understand the issues and challenges faced by both young and senior community members alike. We are strongly committed to providing bottom-up, beneficiary led projects and solutions to address local needs.

A Brief History

The present sports ground was initially the playing fields for The Allens Cross Community Association and they remained the "parent body" until 1983.

The field was opened in 1935, that year King George V and Queen Mary were celebrating the Silver Jubilee of their reign To mark the event a fund was set up, called the King George V Playing Fields Fund. At Allen's Cross funds were also obtained from the Birmingham Branch of the National Playing Fields Association, the Birmingham Civic Society, Bournville Village Trust and other kind donors.

Eventually, in 1937, work started on a clubhouse pavilion, provided by the Feeney Trust, tarmac tennis court and caretakers house, all of which were officially opened on 27th August 1938 by Mr George Cadbury. The ground itself was laid out for two football and one cricket pitch.

From this time Cricket was the longest surviving sports group at the Ground. Allen's Cross Cricket Club (1938 - 2002). In the latter years they survived by recruiting many immigrant cricketers of considerable ability, but these had no permanent connection with the Association and sadly the Club folded completely in 2002. Cricket is still played regularly at Shenley Lane by a number of local clubs.

Northfield Town FC are the senior team at Shenley Lane and have played at the ground since 1966. Again we also provide facilities for a number of other local clubs.

Shenley Radford Youth Club began to use the facilities in 1971. They use the facilities on Wednesday evenings and have football teams from years 9 to 16. In 1983 the sports ground "broke" from the "parent body", Allen's Cross and became a registered charity in its own right and was renamed Shenley Lane Community Association & Sports Centre.

At the same time a development plan was put into place and with the help of the Prince's Trust a brand new changing block, entrance, stand and toilets. Later an all weather pitch was built.

Various developments have taken place over recent year, most significantly the security fencing but are usually limited to "refurbishments" due to limited funds.